[rrd-users] Data Source Name - 19 character limitation

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Wed Nov 21 12:02:32 CET 2007

Hi Clint,

> Doing some investigation with our development team, we found out that all
> the entries in the database that has an element name shorter or equal to 19
> characters, the error counter is 0. Any element name entry that has more
> that 19 characters in its element name, its has a high error counter value
> next to it meaning that Midguard can not add or create the RRD files that is
> needs.

yes the structure of the rrd dataforma operates with a fixed space
for the ds name ... you could change this at compile time, but it
would render your rrd files incompatible with rrd files created by
an unmodified version of rrdtool, so you would have to make sure to
change the max_ds_name_length every time you recompile rrdtool!

cheers
tobi

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9902