[rrd-users] Graphing average temperatures

Erik de Mare erik at oezie.org
Thu Nov 22 08:40:08 CET 2007

I use RRA's to calculate the averages.

my stepsize is 5 min(300sec) with a script I read it from a DS1820 maxim IC.

I have the following RRA's defined.

RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:766 <<- 2,5 days of 5 min samples.
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:766 <<- 2 weeks data with the average of 30 mins(6*300sec)
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:766 <<- 2 months data with average of 2 hours(24*300sec)
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:766 <<- 2 years of data with the average of 1 day(288*300sec)

I also have these for MIN and MAX. when I draw a year graph the last RRA will be used by rrdtool. but you can also graph 2 months with the last RRA, then you have to 'force' rrdtool to use that specific rra in the DEF statemen, example DEF:..:..:..:..:step=86400

the sliding average is just a CDEF with TREND.

I hope this makes it a bit more clear to you.

Mvg,
Erik