[rrd-users] Strange graph behavior

Gary Baluha gumby3203 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 20:36:55 CET 2007

I've posted a similar email to the Hobbitmon mail list, but since I'm not
sure if this is a Hobbit or rrdtool issue, I'm posting here as well.

The problem I'm having is that, from what I can tell, the actual .rrd files
are fine, but they are not showing correctly.  The data is of type GAUGE,
but the effect is that the graphs appear to be drawing as though it were a
DERIVE graph.  The graphs are showing the deltas from the last value,
instead of showing the actual value.  I tried attaching a small jpeg showing
the problem, but the message size max is apparently 40K for this list, and
the email was slightly larger.

The other problem with these same graphs is the GPRINT data at the bottom of
the graph.  The values that I'm tracking in one particular case is the clock
drift of a machine between time updates, and as such the values are usually
between 0 and 2000ms.  I'm getting absurdly large values, such as 53934...
(a series of non-repeating numbers); numbers so large, they don't even fit
on the graph image.  To make matters worse, not every graph is having this
issue, and I can see no pattern to the ones that _are_ having the issues.

Any ideas?