[rrd-users] [RRDTool] Using anything else than time in X-Axis

Eduardo M. Bragatto eduardo at bragatto.com
Fri Nov 30 20:28:07 CET 2007

Baptiste Derongs wrote:

> I am currently looking for a graph-software. RRDTool seems great, with
> a lot of options to customize. But I do not want to use time in
> X-Axis.
> Basically I have a 2 columns list (latency - size), all values are
> already known. I would like to draw some graph from that list. Is it
> possible with RRDTool ?

If you're not dealing with samples over time (aka rates), rrdtool is not
for you.

It's very clear on the documentation:

It's always a Rate
     RRDtool stores rates in amount/second for COUNTER, DERIVE and
ABSOLUTE data. When you plot the data, you will get on the y axis
amount/second which you might be tempted to convert to an absolute
amount by multiplying by the delta-time between the points. RRDtool
plots continuous data, and as such is not appropriate for plotting
absolute amounts as for example ``total bytes'' sent and received in a
router. What you probably want is plot rates that you can scale to
bytes/hour, for example, or plot absolute amounts with another tool that
draws bar-plots, where the delta-time is clear on the plot for each
point (such that when you read the graph you see for example GB on the y
axis, days on the x axis and one bar for each day).

http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdcreate.en.html

[]s
Eduardo M. Bragatto.