[rrd-users] Edit rrd files

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Oct 3 14:14:13 CEST 2007

Stefan Lochbihler wrote:

>I created a rrd file with the following settings.
>
>--step 240
>DS:temperature:GAUGE:11160:U:U
>RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:11160
>RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:15:4392
>RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:4392
>RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:15:4392
>RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:360:366
>
>The file has already a vast amount of data entries.
>
>Now I want to put this data entries in a new rrd file
>which i want to create with the following command.
>
>--step 300
>DS:temperature:GAUGE:900:U:U
>RRA:MAX:0.5:1:8928
>RRA:MAX:0.5:11:4464
>RRA:MAX:0.5:288:366
>
>You can see that the values of step, RRA, min,max,...
>would be changed.
>
>Do you know if is there a way do to this without corrupt my data entries.

Not really, you would have to dump what you have and feed it in to a
new database. But apart from re-consolidating the data (which will
obviously have an effect on the accuracy), there is no way you can
ever get a meaningful MAX value from an average. Consider this
sequence :
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 100

Average is 10, max is 100 !