[rrd-users] Putting a degree sign in an SVG?

Anssi Saari anssi.saari at modeemi.fi
Sun Oct 28 17:19:26 CET 2007

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 12:18:43AM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Hi Anssi,
>
> you may want to try rrdtool 1.3beta ...
>
> it uses cairo to generate the svg ... this should fix this problem
> I guess

Uhm, no. Or it might, but since I can't make out any of the text, I
can't tell :) Other downsides apart from the unreadable text is that
the 1.3beta generates much larger SVGs that really bog down Firefox,
both filesize and when rendered by Firefox. I put up a pair of examples,
both generated with the rrdcgi script below.

http://www.modeemi.fi/~as/ctxt_new.svg was generated by 1.3beta,
http://www.modeemi.fi/~as/ctxt_old.svg was generated by 1.2.15.

The filesize increase in this one is huge, over 10x. I notice there are
no text elements in the SVG generated by 1.3beta.

#! /usr/bin/rrdcgi

<RRD::GRAPH
 /var/www/ctxt.svg -t "Number of CPU context switches (Dorkstar)" -v
"Context switches per second"
 --imgformat SVG --imginfo ""
 --font DEFAULT:14:Helvetica
 --width 1000 --height 250
 --units-exponent 0 --y-grid 500:1
 DEF:ctxt=/var/log/rrdtool/ctxt.rrd:ctxt:AVERAGE
 LINE2:ctxt#1BC100:"Number of CPU context switches"

<HTML>
<HEAD><TITLE>Simple RRDTool SVG graph</TITLE></HEAD>
<BODY>
<H1>Simple RRDTool SVG graph</H1>
<object type="image/svg+xml" data="/ctxt.svg" width=100%
height=50%></object>
</BODY>
</HTML>