[rrd-users] newbie rrd question - probably a very old issue

Dan Gahlinger dgahling at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 1 16:31:08 CEST 2007

I think you're missing the point.

true, the graph only has so much space, but I call "BS" on your overall
explanation for 3 reasons.
#1 we don't have that MANY points to plot - so there's more than enough
space on the graph to show everything
#2 - even so it shouldn't be changing the actual points it does show. a peak
of 90 should be a peak of 90 regardless, it shouldn't shift it to a peak of
30, no matter what the numbers are. - if you can see the point on the graph,
it should be the same value.
#3 - using "max" instead of, or in addition to "avg" for RRA is a bogus
answer. if we use "max" instead of "Avg" we lose the "min", and the "avg" is
skewed. if we use it in addition, we have to define, "min", "avg" and "max"
- three RRA's for one data set, which kills the load on the server. imagine
1000 service checks having to write 3x the data instead of one. this isn't
the answer. the answer is to find out why RRD/RRA is doing what its doing
and make it stop.

in our case, we only had 2 days worth of data, actually less than 1000 bits
of data.
so on the weekly graph there are enough points.

on the graph we can clearly see the "90" spike on the daily graph, but the
weekly graph, that days spike has been changed to "30" and is plotted as 30.
this is very bad. it shouldn't happen.

but again, it's not the graph function that's doing it.
with the command line query, it produces the same results.

the graph is graphing it that way because RRD is giving it the data that
way.
RRD command line query for the week retrieves the max value as "30"
even though the raw data shows the "90" is there.

this is definitely broken. and badly. I'm not sure what's wrong with it.
again, it could be our fault in how the RRA is setup, but I don't see how.

I'll post that as soon as I can.