[rrd-users] newbie rrd question - probably a very old issue

Dan Gahlinger dgahling at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 1 17:59:12 CEST 2007

what about the command-line query function?
there is no "space limitation" with that.

why is that consolidating?

and I still disagree with the analysis.
even as you say, it has to shrink it to fit, that doesn't mean it should be
averaging out the maximum (or the minimum) and adjusting the graph.

you say there isn't enough space, I disagree. take a look at a "Nasdaq"
graph for comparison.
whether you do a day, week, month, 6 months, or a year, the graph is the
same size with the same amount of available space, yet it shows every
minimum, and every maximum correctly. it never averages those out. and all
on one graph.

I'll post a link to some examples if you would like to compare - not sure it
can relate directly though.

the point is, it is possible to do, so rrd should also be doing this. but
even more to the point,
the command-line tools are consolidating - and those have infinite space, so
they definitely should not be consolidating.

can you explain why the command line tool is doing the same thing? I'd
really like an explanation for that.

Dan.