[rrd-users] Help needed for rrdtool install

Jeff Penhale Jeff_Penhale at infosys.com
Fri Sep 7 04:47:17 CEST 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to install rrdtool but am having issues with running configure, where it cannot find a working copy of libpng.

The install of libpng did not display any errors, and it was compiled in the exact same manner as zlib, freetype and libart (all of which are ok). Config.log provides very little in the way of troubleshooting detail. I would be most grateful for any assistance in this matter as I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm hoping someone has run into this issue before, but I can't seem to find anything related during multiple searches on the web.

Thanks in advance.

Findr 3rd-Party Libraries
checking for art_vpath_add_point in -lart_lgpl_2... yes
checking libart_lgpl/libart.h usability... yes
checking libart_lgpl/libart.h presence... yes
checking for libart_lgpl/libart.h... yes
checking for zlibVersion in -lz... yes
checking zlib.h usability... yes
checking zlib.h presence... yes
checking for zlib.h... yes
checking for png_access_version_number in -lpng... no
checking for pkg-config... no
configure: WARNING:
* I could not find a working copy of libpng. Check config.log for hints on why
  this is the case. Maybe you need to set LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS appropriately
  so that compiler and the linker can find libpng and its header files. If
  you have not installed libpng, you can get it either from its original home on
     http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/libpng/
  You can find also find an archive copy on
     http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/pub/libs
  The last tested version of libpng is 1.2.10.
       LIBS=-lz -lart_lgpl_2 -lm  -lpng
   LDFLAGS=-L/tmp/rrdbuild/lb/lib
  CPPFLAGS=-I/tmp/rrdbuild/lb/include -I/tmp/rrdbuild/lb/include/libart-2.0 -I/tmp/rrdbuild/lb/include/freetype2 -I/tmp/rrdbuild/lb/include/libpng -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/libart-2.0

checking for FT_Init_FreeType in -lfreetype... yes
checking ft2build.h usability... yes
checking ft2build.h presence... yes
checking for ft2build.h... yes
configure: error: Please fix the library issues listed above and try again.

Extract from config.log

configure:25198: checking for zlib.h
configure:25205: result: yes
configure:25566: checking for png_access_version_number in -lpng
configure:25596: cc -o conftest -xO3  -KPIC -DPIC -I/tmp/rrdbuild/lb/include -I/tmp/rrdbuild/lb/include/libart-2.0 -I/tmp/rrdbuild/lb/include/freetype2 -I/tm
p/rrdbuild/lb/include/libpng -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/libart-2.0 -L/tmp/rrdbuild/lb/lib conftest.c -lpng  -lz -lart_lgpl_2 -lm
 -lpng >&5
png_mmx_support                     /tmp/rrdbuild/lb/lib/libpng.a(libpng12_la-png.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
configure:25602: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "rrdtool"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "rrdtool"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "1.2.23"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "rrdtool 1.2.23"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| #define PACKAGE "rrdtool"
| #define VERSION "1.2.23"
| #define RRDGRAPH_YLEGEND_ANGLE 90.0
| #define STDC_HEADERS 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
| #define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRINGS_H 1
| #define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| #define HAVE_DLFCN_H 1
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| extern "C" void exit (int);
| #endif
| #define STDC_HEADERS 1
| #define HAVE_DIRENT_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_FCNTL_H 1
| #define HAVE_TIME_H 1
| #define HAVE_LOCALE_H 1
| #define HAVE_MALLOC_H 1
| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| #define HAVE_IEEEFP_H 1
| #define HAVE_MATH_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TIME_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TIMES_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_PARAM_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_RESOURCE_H 1
| #define HAVE_FLOAT_H 1
| #define TIME_WITH_SYS_TIME 1
| #define HAVE_LIBM 1
| #define HAVE_STRFTIME 1
| #define HAVE_VPRINTF 1
| #define HAVE_DOPRNT 1
| #define WORDS_BIGENDIAN 1
| #define HAVE_TZSET 1
| #define HAVE_MBSTOWCS 1
| #define HAVE_OPENDIR 1
| #define HAVE_READDIR 1
| #define HAVE_CHDIR 1
| #define HAVE_CHROOT 1
| #define HAVE_GETUID 1
| #define HAVE_SETLOCALE 1
| #define HAVE_STRERROR 1
| #define HAVE_SNPRINTF 1
| #define HAVE_VSNPRINTF 1
| #define HAVE_FPCLASS 1
| #define HAVE_ISNAN 1
| #define HAVE_MEMMOVE 1
| #define HAVE_STRCHR 1
| #define HAVE_MKTIME 1
| #define HAVE_GETRUSAGE 1
| #define HAVE_GETTIMEOFDAY 1
| #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| #define HAVE_GETPAGESIZE 1
| #define HAVE_MMAP 1
| #define HAVE_FINITE 1
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| /* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| extern "C"
| #endif
| /* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
|    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
> [...]
configure:25628: result: no
configure:25781: checking for pkg-config
configure:25810: result: no
configure:26077: WARNING: