[rrd-users] Counter resetting causing huge spikes

Piers Kittel mailing at biased.org
Sun Sep 9 10:32:25 CEST 2007

Hello all,

I'm currently measuring my electricity usage using an counter - each
time the meter flashes 1/800kWh, the counter value is put in the
database.  As it's a 32 bit integer, I've set the known limits to be
0 - 4,294,967,297 in the database.  Thing is, if the counter resets
to zero due to the sensor recording program restarting, the database
assumes I've gone all the way to 4,294,967,296 and then back again,
causing a huge spike showing I've used 228GW in 1 min.  Now all of my
graphs all the way up to the yearly graph shows that spike, and it's
likely I'm not able to see anything until a year later - is there a
way to prevent this?  Should I not put in a known upper limit, but
rather, putting in an "U" - will this fix it?  Am I able to remove
the errant data out of the database, or will I need to re-create the
database?

Thanks for your time in advance!

Regards - Piers