[rrd-users] importing large dataset

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sat Apr 26 15:57:42 CEST 2008

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 09:30:03AM -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
> I would like to import a very large dataset lets say 100MB text file. The
> file consists like this.
>
> Date                  Value
> 2/3/03 11:00       10
> 2/3/03 11:01       12
> 2/3/03 11:02       13
> 2/3/03 11:03       30
> 2/3/03 11:04       12
> 2/3/03 11:05       13
>
> It keeps going on. I can generate the epoch on the left side. However, I am
> unclear how to load this into rrdtool. I have followed the tutorial and I
> was not able to model my data properly. Can someone please show me an
> example for the data above?

What do these numbers mean?
When were they valid?

RRDtool is not a graphing program. Use e.g. gnuplot for that.

If these numbers are rates, you still need to know when these rates
were valid.  For instance: "12", does this mean a rate between
"2/3/03 11:00" and "2/3/03 11:01" or between
"2/3/03 11:01" and "2/3/03 11:02"?  A small but significant difference.
RRDtool uses end times (thus: updating for 2/3/03 11:01 is updating the
interval upto and including 2/3/03 11:01).

Are these times in some local time or in UTC?  If they are in local time,
make sure to compensate for this and don't forget about daylight saving
(if any).

You will need to convert each pair into <timestamp>:<value>, and then
give those as input to rrdtool.  This is a *very* basic operation, so
perhaps you need to explain the problem you encounter a bit more.

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/