[rrd-users] storing snmp table snapshots in rrd database

George Ross gdmr at inf.ed.ac.uk
Mon Dec 8 10:33:59 CET 2008

> Is it possible to program rrd database to store ifMIB stats
> (ifnOctets, ifInUcastPkts, ifOutOctets, ifOutUcastPkts) by automatically
> discovering the number of interfaces on the system being monitored?
> Any pointers to examples of snmp table contents being stored in rrd will be
> greatly appreciated.

I've attached the one we use, which is part of our switch management suite.
We run it every five minutes from cron, with the index and cgi-bin files
being generated periodically by scanning the switches' interface tables and
combining the results of that with the switch configuration files.

Pretty well anything which can do getnext would do too, of course.