[rrd-users] getting MAX, LAST VDEFs without generating graph from C library

Jack Tavares j.tavares at F5.com
Wed Feb 13 12:18:14 CET 2008

Hello all

I have some existing rrdfile with some data in them.

I was reading  about the VDEF capabilities of the rrdgraph
command.

I am using the c library functions to manipulate the rrd files.

I want the MAX and LAST from a graph, but I don't want the graph.

At the command line I would do:

rrdtool graph xy.png -aPNG
DEF:curclientconns=/var/rrd/connections:curclientconns:AVERAGE
VDEF:connsmax=curclientconns,MAXIMUM VDEF:connslast=curclientconns,LAST
PRINT:connslast:"last=%12.0lf" PRINT:connsmax:"max=%12.0lf"

This prints to stdout.

If I am calling rrd_graph() C function, how do I get this data?

Is there a better way to do this? I m very open to suggestions, but I
have to stick with the C library calls.

Ok, one more question:
I dont see any API docs for theC library on the web site. Are there any?

Thanks again

--
Jack Tavares
Reminder: I am at GMT+2, 10 hours AHEAD of Seattle.