[rrd-users] rrd graph start/end times with DEF start/end times

Jack Tavares j.tavares at F5.com
Sun Feb 17 15:10:51 CET 2008

I am upgrading to the 2.28 (from a very old version) and I see that
the DEF statement not has start and end time specifications.

I would like to use this to generate multiple MAXIMUM over different time periods
using PRINT and one call to rrd graph.

For intance:

I save a statistic in several differend RRAs in one RRDFILE.

I want the MAXIMUM value over the last 3 hours, the last 24 hours etc.

It looks like I could, in the def commands specify something like

DEF:stat3hours=/rrddir/rrdfil:stat:AVERAGE:step=blah:start=<now-3hours>:end=<now>
DEF:stat24hours=/rrddir/rrdfil:stat:AVERAGE:step=blah:start=<now-24hours>:end=<now>

Then use the following VDEFS
VDEF:stat3hoursMax=stat3hours,MAXIMUM
VDEF:stat24hoursMat=stat24hours,MAXIMUM

Then the PRINT statements
PRINT:stat3hoursMax:"3 hour MAX: %8.4lf"
PRINT:stat24hoursMax:"24 hour MAX: %8.4lf"

My questions are

0. Can I request different start/end times for the same DS in multiple DEF statements in one command?
1. If so, do I need to specify a start and end time for the as an argument to the graph command?

Thanks