[rrd-users] Conception problem on a rrd database

Gwenael Lahay whiteangelbreizh at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 10:36:27 CET 2008

Hello,

I would like to expose you a conception problem on a program that i wrote.
I am not sure that it is the purpose of this forum but i really need some
help ? ^^

I need to detect and store informations on the net flow on a subnet.

I store all the caracterics (bytes/s and packets/s) of the flows in rrd
files which means :
- the flow associated to a destination ip
- the flow associated to a source ip
- the flow associated to a protocole
- the flow associated to a service

For the moment, i create rrd file to store data for one net flow :
- a total file which stores the flow for a destination of the subnet
- a service file which store the flow for a service and for a destination of
the subnet
 - a total file which stores the flow from a source (in direction of the
subnet)
- a service file which store the flow for a service and for a source (in
direction of the subnet)
 - a protocol file which store the flow for a protocol and for a source (in
direction of the subnet)

As i create a file for each sources and for each destinations (for each
services and for each protocols), the size of rrd database is enormous.

My questions :
Do you think that it exists a better way to store all this data ?
Should i replace RRD database with another type of database (MySQL, ...) ?

Thanks for your help