[rrd-users] Segfault on rrdtool restore...

Terje Bless link at pobox.com
Wed Feb 20 09:31:58 CET 2008

Hi all,

I'm trying to add a datasource to an RRD file by dumping, editing the
XML, and restoring, but I'm getting a segfault on 'rrdtool restore' of
the modified XML file. Any suggestions on how to debug this? I'm sure
my input is bad somehow, but my visual inspection doesn't shed any
light.

Specifically I'm trying to add a COMPUTE datasource by manually
applying the equivalent modifications of the contrib/rrdaddsource
script (which doesn't support COMPUTE datasources). Any particular
caveats in this regard?

Also, ISTR having run into rrdtool restore segfaulting before (and
giving up). Is it perhaps reasonable to infer that 'rrdtool restore'
could use more robust input handling (possibly just by bailing with a
descriptive error message on bad input)?

TIA, -link