[rrd-users] values being averaged.

Shriver, Daniel dshriver at mitre.org
Thu Jan 17 18:57:08 CET 2008

I didn't get tripped up by this but if it people are often confused
about this*
maybe changing the wording in parts of the tutorial might get rid of
some of the
confusion. I'm not great on tech. writing- does this make it more
clear:

"GAUGE does not save the rate of change. It saves the actual value
itself. There are no divisions or calculations.  Note though, GAUGE,
like all other types IS normalized.  Thus if a value comes in at an
off interval timing (such as 5 min 1 sec after the previous value
when the interval is set as 5 min exactly) the value graphed will
be an interpolated estimate of what the value should be at 5 min"

I am still confused by various DUMP / RESTORE issues that don't make
much sense to me
(see my August post "Rrdtool restore problems").  I had problems
upgrading" from v. 1.2.12 to v. 1.2.23.  The replies I got indicated I
should avoid mixing
v. 1.0.x and 1.2.x software.  As bother were 1.2.x though this didn't
enlighten me.

*see also the earlier post stating:
  "I personally don't blame him. This is covered almost weekly in the
  Archives, at least several times a month. There's a _lot_ of
information
  related to this available if you look.

  --
  Marc"