[rrd-users] updating rrd with data from history

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Jan 30 12:52:54 CET 2008

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 06:28:35AM -0500, solaris identity wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it possible to update rrd files from data from the history. A rrd  file
> created with -b option and with a time in the past, let's say "now -100".
> Can I update this file with values from "now -95" if the heartbeat is 10s.
> Or will the data be rejected? is the interval calculation always based on
> the current time or the time from "-b" option.

In short: you can, yes, no, no and yes.

'Last updated' time is set in the database. Using '-b' you can set this into
the past.

All updates should occur after, thus not before or on, 'Last updated'.

An update which is tried before or on 'Last updated' is ignored and is
considered not to have happened.

Updating the database will set 'Last updated' to the time in that update,
which is 'now' only if you use 'N' as your time.

HTH
--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/