[rrd-users] beginner questions on multiple series

SecretCode secretcode343 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 11:28:30 CEST 2008

Thanks Raimund, Alex and Jason (off list)!
> SecretCode <secretcode343 at gmail.com> writes:
>> i ... I have done some basic work with rrdtool but I'm still a beginner.
>>
>> I'm trying to report on traffic usage through a firewall for multiple IP
>> addresses. Each address will have in & out values, but I don't know in
>> advance how many addresses there will be - and new addresses could
>> theoretically be added during any collection interval.
>>
>> Am I right that each IP address's traffic would be a separate series and
>> would have to be a separate RRD file (because each RRD has a sized fixed
>> up-front)? Is this going to be manageable with rrdtool?

To expand on the need: I want to store total bytes per hour (or minute)
per IP address. This collection is already in place, and I'm logging it
to a text file, but of course that leaves me with handling all the
aggregation and truncation of history that rrdtool already solves.

So I will need to manage the allocation of IP addresses to rrds in my
front end, and creating the rrd for a new ip address.

I initially want this for my home network, a mere handful of addresses,
which shouldn't be a size or processing problem (obviously I can't keep
per-minute data for a year). But I'd like to extend it to the office
environment which is much larger. But not enterprise-class, no.

Alex: you mentioned having several buckets in one RRD. Since I'll need
to allow for multiple rrds anyway, is there any advantage in having say
3 rrds with 10 addresses in each rather than 30 rrds? (Which would be
easier to manage.)

thanks again
Joe