[rrd-users] rrds on ext2 partition?

Bernard Li bernard at vanhpc.org
Tue Jul 8 01:27:31 CEST 2008

In conjunction with the ongoing discussions here and in rrd-developers
on "accelerating" rrdtool (either via using RAM/SSD as the underlying
storage component) or having an accelerator daemon, I'd like to hear
your thoughts on using ext2 as the underlying filesystem for storing
the rrds (or any other filesystems).

My current experience is with lots of rrd files on ext3 filesystem
which causes high load and high I/O resulting in unusable system.
When I put the rrds in an ext2 filesystem, load has dropped
dramatically and it still has fairly high I/O, but at least the system
is not locked up.

The downside is without the journal, you have the possibility of
having data corruption upon power loss, but much could be say about
storing data in tmpfs even with periodic syncing of data to persistent
store.

Thoughts on this?

P.S. In case you are wondering, rrdtool is used in conjunction with Ganglia.

Cheers,

Bernard