[rrd-users] Tips and thoughts on how to optimally import data points from MRTG .log files into new RRD databases

Cyrille Bollu Cyrille.Bollu at fedasil.be
Wed Jul 9 10:32:21 CEST 2008

rrd-users-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch wrote on 09/07/2008 02:25:35:

> > I know that I can convert my MRTG .log file to RRD databases by adding
the
> > "LogFormat: rrdtool" line in MRTG's configuration files. However, the
RRA
> > generated by doing this don't satisfy me.
>
> I don't remember when/where/what, but I'm almost 100% sure I've seen
> a solution for this.  Try google.

I'm pretty sure also but you already gave me a very good tip hereunder :-)

> I suggest looking in MRTG or RateUp, find the part where it creates the
> new database and modify that part.

Great! I didn't realized MRTG was written in Perl.

Actually, I think I'll have to modify function "log2rrd" in file
MRTG_lib.pm:

        sub log2rrd ($$$) {
            my @steps = qw(300 1800 7200 86400);
            my %sizes = ( 300 => 600, 1800 => 700, 7200 => 775, 86400 =>
797);

Am I dreaming? Could it be so simple? :-)

Thanks Alex

Cyrille