[rrd-users] ESX 3.5 CPU Usage

Richard Burton richard at atomwide.com
Thu Jul 31 11:06:18 CEST 2008

Hi all

Does anyone have a cunning plan for gathering CPU stats for an ESX box.
It seems that if you poll the usual Linux OIDs you are actually polling
the service console, what I need are stats for the VM Kernel, i.e. the
bit that is serving the VMs. It seems you can get the CPU time for each
VM so with some cunning RPN I suspect you could add all those up a
divide by various values to get the percent CPU used but I was wondering
if anyone has another way of doing it. Ideally I don't want to use the
APIs as it seems like unneccessary work as really it should be straight
forward.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Richard