[rrd-users] building a huge rrd / any limitations?

Karl Fischer rrd-users at ficos.de
Wed Jun 11 08:06:54 CEST 2008

>> Karl Fischer wrote:
>>
>> I'm planning to create a really huge rrd with 5-10 million rows
>> holding about 100-200 entries each, so the complete rrd will reach
>> a size of 5 .. 20 GB ...
>> Are there any problems to expect when creating and using an rrd
>> that size? Any limits to hit (like 32bit file pointers or so)?
>> Has anybody out there done that before? Any experience?
>>
>> - Karl

> Tobias Oetiker wrote:
>
> Hi Karl,
>
> having it all in a single file seems to be rather unflexible ...
>
> I have never tested this, so I don't know what bugs you will hit
> upon.

Thanks Tobi,

so do you mean splitting up the rrd into multiple files by putting
only a few (10 to 20) entries into each file (but sill holding 5-10
million rows) would be be better?

Has anybody tried with such a big number of rows?

Or, to put it the other way around:
up to which amounts of data rrdtool has been tested?

- Karl