[rrd-users] building a huge rrd / any limitations?

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Wed Jun 11 09:34:55 CEST 2008

Hi Karl,

Today Karl Fischer wrote:

> Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> > Hi Karl,
> >
> >> so do you mean splitting up the rrd into multiple files by putting
> >> only a few (10 to 20) entries into each file (but sill holding 5-10
> >> million rows) would be be better?
> >
> > it would certainly be more in line with what other people do ...
> >
> > do you actually accquire 200 datapoints at once ? since in a
> > single rrd file all datapoints must be acquired at once ...
> >
> > cheers
> > toobi
>
> Hi Tobi,
>
> yes, I do accquire all those datapoints in a row ...
>
> Does your above answer mean that you don't see a problem with 5+ million
> records in a rrd?

not sure what the state of affairs is with largefiles ... we du not
curently pay particular attention to this ... internally rrdtool
addresses RRA locations by row count, so more than 2e9 rows are
likely to be a bigger problem ... the rest may require fixes to the
mmap/seek/tell code

cheers
tobi

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9902