[rrd-users] rrdtool 1.3.0 - memory eaten away by mmap.

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Wed Jun 18 15:13:59 CEST 2008

Hi Raimund,

Yesterday Raimund Berger wrote:

> "Raimund Berger" <raimund.berger at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I also did an ltrace but couldn't immediately see if any/what other
> > library might be involved in this error. Wonder if it's related to the
> > new (?) cairo/pango stuff.
>
> Sorry for kind of flooding the list, but I felt obliged to track this
> down a bit further, as this memory hogging is that troubling.
>
> I've reproduced it on another, pretty much pristine Etch install with
> the same data, by the way.
>
> So I sent the rrdtool process SIGABRT and dumped core when those
> mmap's happen. Apparently, it turns out to be some issue with
> libcairo. Even if it's input is faulty, it sure shouldn't behave like
> that.
>
> Anyway, back trace attached.

glad to hear it is cairo, so that question is what makes it go belly
up ... maybe we can alter rrdtool NOT to stroke it in that
particular way (and I thought by moving away from libart I got rid
of these problems ... )

can you rrdtool dump the offending file and send me that together
with the fatal graph instruction (the shorter that graph call, the
better).

not re cairo, there have been a number of releases since edge came
out, so maybe the bug is already fixed and can be backported to the
debian cairo ...

cheers
tobi

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9902