[rrd-users] rrdgraph never returns with small step

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Jun 19 17:48:53 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:13:00AM -0400, Josh Wyatt wrote:

> So it appears to be something related to how the x grid is drawn, which also explains the dependency on the time.
>
> Now what :) ?  How can I get my X grid without lots of manual --x-grid A:B:C:D:E:F fun?

1: make sure to try the latest RRDtool, just in case a known bug
   was fixed.

2: Find a way to reproduce the problem. This most certainly means
   you need to get rid of 'now'.  When running rrdtool (be it to
   update or to create a graph) you store the commands in a separate
   file, which you can then replay should the problem occur.

3: create a small but complete example of the problematic behaviour.
   This means you should make a script which performs all of the
   following actions, without excess baggage:

   a) create a small database (usually some 20 to 30 rows will do)
   b) update these rows
   c) generate an image from it, showing a 'good' case
   c) generate an image from it, showing a 'bad' case

   e.g. if creating the image results in bad behaviour at endtime
   12:34:59 but not at time 12:34:58, this is important information
   when hunting for the bug

   Why this script?  So that other people can try and reproduce the
   problem.  It could be a problem which doesn't exist in other
   systems.

HTH
--
Alex van den Bogaerdt