[rrd-users] Inquiring on how to ease disk io (linux).

Ronan Mullally ronan at iol.ie
Wed Jun 25 11:01:19 CEST 2008

Hi Raimund,

A few suggestions that I've tried on different systems in the past:

 - Upgrading your disk system is an obvious choice - more disks
   RAID 1 (or 0 if you live dangerously) and a caching RAID controller
   will help definitely help.

 - Tweaking your underlying filesystem to take advantage of a RAID
   filesystem can make a difference - I've seen big improvements using
   the stride-size and stripe-width options to mke2fs (though that was
   on a mail spool, not RRD files).

 - Tweaking some of the kernel attributes in /proc/sys/vm will change
   when and how often data cached by the OS will be written to the disk
   (or the cache in the disk controller).  I found this helped slightly
   on a filesystem with about 5,000 RRDs being hit every 5 minutes.

 - Tweaking the disk scheduler parameters in /sys/block/<disk>/queue can
   improve things a bit, depending on your traffic profile.

I hope these are useful.  The last 2 can be tried on the fly.  The others
require downtime.

-Ronan