[rrd-users] Inquiring on how to ease disk io (linux).

Raimund Berger raimund.berger at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 20:42:29 CEST 2008

Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> writes:

> Hi Raimund,
>
> Today Ronan Mullally wrote:
> [disk performance config tips]
>
> We have just successfully integrated a ssd disk into our ext3
> filesystem to house the journal. The performance gain for write
> heavy applications was about 100%, but the biggy was that the
> responsivness of all the system became much better even under heavy
> writing load, I would assume that this could help a rrd setup as
> well ...
>
> http://insights.oetiker.ch/linux/external-journal-on-ssd.html

Ah, ok thanks for the tip. Very stimulating with which solutions you
guys come up.

>From application layer in memory caching over tweaking OS level vm and
buffering knobs to reusing OS level performant disk caches (journal).

As a random thought along those lines, if the RRDs were housed on an
own partition, putting the journal into tmpfs might also work, even
though kind of defeating the original purpose I guess ;)

Thanks a bunch
R.