[rrd-users] Dump and rebuild and restore XML with perl

0xception 0xception at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 23:03:20 CET 2008

I think i have found my own problem... but not a solution (other then
starting all over with a new perl script)...

It would seem, and correct me if i'm wrong, that the rrdtool restore
requires the XML elements to be ordered. When the XML::Simple reads in and
exports to XML the order of the original XML is lost and exported in
alphebetical order. Maybe this could be considered a bug maybe it's by
design of the rrd tool. either way i'm not sure if there are any explicit
specification in XML 1.0 on element ordering.

I dont believe XML::Simple perl module can maintain the origional order of
the XML it reads in... so i'll have to find another module or another way to
rebuilding the XML file if i wasn to get around this. But just to add my
opinion, i think it would make the tool more versitail if it was not
dependend on the order of the XML.