[rrd-users] Graphing COUNTER values absolutely

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Mar 18 22:12:29 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 08:26:29PM +0100, Felix Castillo Sanchez wrote:

> I'm storing Oracle performance values that are continuously increasing. The
> problem is that a user cannot handle a per second rate because we're talking
> about centiseconds within 5 minutes. So how do I explain an end user that
> sub-microseconds of wait time can be a performance bottleneck?!

Why do you think that it is easier to explain when you multiply
the number by some arbitrary value?

Or what else are you trying to achieve?

> So if I get aggregated values I cannot multiply by the default step - I've
> to take whatever the RRAs interval is - right?

Even in the 86400 seconds per interval RRA, data is still a rate,
still <something> per second.

When multiplied by (e.g.) 3600, you still get <something> per hour.

Perhaps you should provide a numerical example of what you would
like to see happening.

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/