[rrd-users] Question about RRDTool ..

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Fri Mar 21 13:42:36 CET 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 11:12:46PM +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 10:42 PM, Alex van den Bogaerdt
> <alex at ergens.op.het.net> wrote:
> >  What DEF statements do you use ?
>
> I create the graph with the following:
> /usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.27/bin/rrdtool graph images/speedday.png -l 0 \
> -t 'Sync Speed - DAILY' \
> -x HOUR:1:HOUR:4:HOUR:2:0:%k \
> DEF:maxdown=modem.rrd:maxdown:AVERAGE \

Datasource maxdown from RRD modem.rrd
Take the AVERAGES and store those in variable maxdown

>     VDEF:ds2max=maxdown,MAXIMUM \

maximum(all those averages)

>     VDEF:ds2avg=maxdown,AVERAGE \

average(all those averages)

>     VDEF:ds2min=maxdown,MINIMUM \

minimum(all those averages)

>     VDEF:ds2pct=maxdown,LAST \

last(all those averages)

> >  What Tobi said was:
> >
> >  use  max(all maximums)
>
> I think this is what I'm doing

You may be correct in saying that you think this, but I know you
are wrong in thinking so.

> >  not  max(all averages)
> >
> >  Indeed, the latter does not make sense. But it is what you get when
> >  you DEF:remote=speed.rrd:remote:AVERAGE
>
> I'm not :)

Your options are: believe those who know, or stay in the dark.

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/