[rrd-users] multiple RRAs of same type

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon May 19 20:31:39 CEST 2008

R Dicaire wrote:
>On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 2:49 AM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
>>  Taking the examples you've given above :
>>  RRA:AVERAGE:.5:1:288
>>  Gives you one minute values for 288 minutes (4.8 hours)
>
>I see....if the rrd is updated every 5 min, wouldn't that make one
>minute values pointless, or inaccurate?

Yes, which is why if you were planning on only updating every five
minutes it wouldn't usually make sense to have a step size of one
minute.

In all cases, your step size and sample frequency should be related
to the data you intend to put in - then the consolidation functions
you use should be related to what you want to get out later.