[rrd-users] Best way to handle long delays between updates?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Nov 3 08:54:36 CET 2008

Coates, Jack wrote:

>I'm wanting to use Simple::RRD to build stats graphics from a
>program that is intended to run infrequently (say once or twice a
>day). I've got this working reasonably well, except that it's
>showing single dots on the update times, and I'd like it to
>extrapolate lines between the dots.
>
>What's the recommended best practice for this sort of usage? Should
>I be adjusting frequency?

You probably don't have a long enough heartbeat time for your DS -
thus after a delay, the data becomes unknown. If you increase the
heartbeat time enough then the data will simply be normalised between
updates.

http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdcreate.en.html
>heartbeat defines the maximum number of seconds that may pass
>between two updates of this data source before the value of the data
>source is assumed to be *UNKNOWN*.

Whether this is what you want or not I don't know, but instead of a
short 'blip' on the graph and nothing in between, you'll get a graph
that just steps up or down at each update.
--
Simon Hobson