[rrd-users] How Does RRDTool Produce Chart with MANY Data Points

Robert Easton mark63 at azurebell.co.nz
Tue Nov 18 02:59:23 CET 2008

Hi,

If I ask RRDTool to plot a chart with 10,000 data points it does so very
fast. What is RRDTool doing in the code? It appears to me that it is
averaging or smoothing the data. Is that right?

I was actually plotting readings from a temperature sensor taken every
minute for one week. So that is 60 x 24 x 7 = 10080 data points. In a
patrticular day the temperature might have a min of 8 and a max of 24, but
the resulting chart did not manage to show that min and that max in a
particular day.

So what does it do?

Thanks,
Mark