[rrd-users] How Does RRDTool Produce Chart with MANY Data Points

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Tue Nov 18 21:43:54 CET 2008

Tomorrow Mark Easton wrote:

> Hi Tobi,
>
> I think you have missed my point.  Please ignore the ave, max, min stuff I
> spouted on about (I edited my post online).
>
> The RRA I am using in my graph has no consolidation. It presents for one
> month, about 40,000 points (60 second readings from my sensor - my step is
> 60). ie
>
> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:40320   (I assume that AVERAGE, MAX, MIN of 1 value will
> all be the same??)
>
> My question is that when I ask RRDTool to produce a graph for this does it
> just plot all 40320 points or does it do some optimisations based on the
> size of the graphic being produced? For 12 months, it would need to plot
> 524,000 odd points.

Mark,

I think I have understood you perfectly (you are only about to
1000thst person to ask this question). But I guess I have still not
reached the point where I am able to explain this to people so that
they understand in the first round ...

If you plit 10'000 points to a chart 1000 pixel wide, then rrdtool does NOT plot
every point, but it takes groups of 10 points and figures out where
to draw the pixel in the graph. The method it uses for this process
it the same that was asigned to the RRA unless you add a reduce
optino to the DEF line when pulling the data in.

Since you did not add a reduce option you see the average of 10
point plotted.

For performance reasons it makes sense to have additional RRAs
roughly matching the graph resolutions people will be looking at.

hope this helps
tobi

if you like, I can repeat for you what I wrote yesterday.