[rrd-users] rrdtool takes a while to generate ganglia graphs

chrismattmann chris.mattmann at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Nov 24 06:30:11 CET 2008

Hi,

I'm having some trouble with rrdtool as it is being called by Ganglia. I'm
using the following software:

Ganglia: 3.1.1
rrdtool: 1.1.3
Cent OS 3, 2.0 GB RAM, Dual dual-core Xeon 2.8 GHz

I am having a similar problem as this fellow here:

http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/forum.en.html#nabble-td1450436

It seems that when I visit the Ganglia main page, it hangs for about 3-5
seconds, after which all of the rrdtool graphs are generated very quickly
and come back at the same time. When I look at top on my host machine for
Ganglia and rrdtool, I notice that when the rrdtool processes are launched,
they all start taking a bunch of CPU and memory, and then at around the same
time for all of them, poof, they dissapear and then the system returns to
normal. Any clue as to why this would be? I've installed rrdtool before and
Ganglia, and never had this type of problem. I'm starting to scratch my head
here because I'm not sure what's going on...

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers,
 Chris