[rrd-users] Automatic Timestamp in RRD graphs

Karl Fischer rrd-users at ficos.de
Thu Nov 27 16:01:15 CET 2008

Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Martin,
>
> Today Martin Knoblauch wrote:
>
>>  I think my reply/question did not hit the list ...

Tobi,

ok, I guess I wasn't precise enough. And I remebered it wrong (sorry Martin)
It doesn't seem possible to used left *and* right alignment in one line.

Example:
I'd like to add a timestamp in this graph rightbound in *the same line* with
the legend: see http://mail.ficos.de/rrdtool/test0.png

rrdtool graph $1 \
    --interlaced \
    --units-length=12 \
    --imgformat=PNG \
    --start=1227782280 \
    --end=1227783360 \
    --base=1000 \
    --width=600 \
    --height=100 \
    --upper-limit=100 \
    --lower-limit=0 \
    --rigid \
    --title="CPU stats" \
    DEF:iowait=Proc.rrd:iowait:AVERAGE \
    DEF:softrq=Proc.rrd:softrq:AVERAGE \
    DEF:irq=Proc.rrd:irq:AVERAGE \
    DEF:system=Proc.rrd:system:AVERAGE \
    DEF:nice=Proc.rrd:nice:AVERAGE \
    DEF:user=Proc.rrd:user:AVERAGE \
    DEF:idle=Proc.rrd:idle:AVERAGE \
    CDEF:ciowait=iowait,4,/ \
    CDEF:cirq=irq,4,/ \
    CDEF:csoftrq=softrq,4,/ \
    CDEF:csystem=system,4,/ \
    CDEF:cnice=nice,4,/ \
    CDEF:cuser=user,4,/ \
    CDEF:cidle=idle,4,/ \
    AREA:ciowait#f00000:iowait \
    AREA:cirq#808000:irq:STACK \
    AREA:csoftrq#803000:softrq:STACK \
    AREA:csystem#80f000:system:STACK \
    AREA:cnice#000030:nice:STACK \
    AREA:cuser#0000f0:user:STACK

So I added:
    "COMMENT:  Date\: $(date "+%F %T" | sed 's/:/\\:/g')\r"

which leads to: http://mail.ficos.de/rrdtool/test1.png
(entire line right bound)

If I now change the last line above to
    "AREA:cuser#0000f0:user\l:STACK" \

which leads to: http://mail.ficos.de/rrdtool/test2.png

So now the legend is left-bound and the timestamp is
right-bound, however, on two different lines ...

???

- Karl