[rrd-users] Bits/sec and GB/month

Eric eric at mailinator.com
Tue Oct 21 10:52:01 CEST 2008

On 2008-10-20, Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:

> no ... it would store 300 since the stored rate is always PER
> second. So for your example it should be 1byte/s.

Thanks for the clear example and explanation.

> Chances are that you see Bits/s and GigaBYTES/month ...
> there is a factor 8 between bits and bytes ...

Hm, the probem is that the factor 800 was valid for the first months. Later
on, there were differences for about 200-400%, so I guess they are still
doing other fancy things :-(

But I liked the idea about the tcpdump. I'll make a capture for a whole day,
and I'll import this into Wireshark where I will see the real transfer, which
I can compare to their numbers.
If I can give them the packet dump for a whole day, then they cannot stick
their heads in the sand anymore I guess.

Eric.