[rrd-users] how change pdp_per_row ??

petterborgca petterborgca at ldschurch.org
Mon Oct 27 19:28:11 CET 2008

I was looking through the archive in the forum for an answer to my problem,
and I found this message, but there was no real answer.

Here is my problem. We want to increase the number of rows for a greater
length of time (which I can do with resize) AND the pdp for more precision
(which is where I'm having my issue).

I thought I might be able to do it by doing a resize, then dump, then edit
the pdp_per_row value in the XML and then doing a restore. Ahh... no. There
is a timestamp for each row, but it is just a comment, so the data is now
skewed to a different time frame.

I *could* create a new rrd file with the RRAs set up the way that I want,
then do a series of updates (one for each row in the old rrd), but that
might not get me what I want either. We want our long term RRD to change
from 240 pdp to 12 pdp and from 480 data points to 17,532 points.

Any suggestions for how to convert an rrd file to hold more data and more
frequent data points without messing up the data? Yes, I realize that I
can't have it make up the data points that are missing. I'm not even sure
this would lead to usable data in the file, but that is what we would like
to do.

Thanks!

Cary