[rrd-users] How To Do A State Change Log/Graph ?

Robert Easton mark63 at azurebell.co.nz
Wed Sep 10 02:33:01 CEST 2008

We want to see an Area Chart with the ON STATE corresponding to a y-axis
value of 1 and the OFF STATE corresponding to a y-axis value of 0. As such
we also want to store the data in an efficient way in RRDTool if this is
possible in this scenario. Else we will have to move to logging the data in
a SQL table  instead and then find another graphing tool for this part of
our application.

We might have a series of data like this:

23May08 11:43:35   ON
23May08 11:43:39   OFF
01Jun08 12:55:03   ON
05Jul08 06:32:01   OFF
08Sep08 08:00:02   ON

In reality this data could show a state change at any time. Note in the
first instance, above, the state was ON for only 4 seconds. We need to see
that on the graph, as a visible line, even though the graph might be
displaying for six months. We need to display this graph for a defined
period with each ON state change being represented by the area chart showing
as 1 on the y-axis.

So can we pass this data to a rrdtool and have it logged efficiently and
then display the corresponding chart? I would hate to have to generate
millions of values to achieve this. Four months of one second data is about
10,368,000 lines of data!

Any ideas on an approach?
TIA

Cheers