[rrd-users] Integrate RRDtool with sar for System monitoring

Haroon Rafique haroon.rafique at utoronto.ca
Tue Sep 30 16:17:57 CEST 2008

On Today at 9:47pm, hc=>howard chen <howachen at gmail.com> wrote:

hc> Hello,
hc>
hc> Originally I am thinking installing solution such as ganglia to
hc> monitor our servers.
hc>
hc> However, I just thought that it is a little bit over-kill as the data
hc> (e.g. load average, disk, mem, network usage etc.) I needed are
hc> already in the sar files.
hc>
hc> As I know the engine behind ganglia are RRDtool which plot the nice
hc> graph, so currently are there any RRDtool and sar integration?
hc>
hc> Thanks.
hc>

Hi Howard,

I wrote a front-end graphing CGI [1] which has the capability to graph sar
data as well [2] using a sar data gathering script [3].

[1] http://haroon.sis.utoronto.ca/rrd/scripts/
[2] http://haroon.sis.utoronto.ca/perl/rrd.cgi/sar_stats/
[3] http://haroon.sis.utoronto.ca/rrd/scripts/sar.sh

Regards,