[rrd-users] How to graph delta from last

Niobe ben.carbery at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 02:27:12 CEST 2009

I want to graph the change in the number of bytes or lines in a file (very
large syslog files) since the last poll. The files are rotated every night
back to zero.

I have a script which is returning the data, my question is what DS type to
store it with. None of guage, counter, absolute or derive seem quite right.

Reading the docs I came up with 2 possibilities
- Using GUAGE with a CDEF that subtracts LAST
- Using DERVICE with a CDEF that multiplies it by the polling interval.

Are either of these correct or is there a more efficient way?