[rrd-users] initially empty graphs

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at digitaltorque.ca
Fri Aug 7 17:40:57 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm coming from mrtg and trying to understand use of rrdtool.

I've set up an rrd db like so

rrdtool create $db \
    --start $now \
    --step $step \
    DS:event_queue_size:GAUGE:$heartbeat:$min_eventq:$max_eventq \
    RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:12 \
    RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:12:24 \
    RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:7 \
    RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:2016:28 \
    RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:8064:12 || exit 1

So I'm hoping that the rras I'm creating will have sufficient
resolution for hourly, daily, weekly, monthly and yearly graphs.

Now, initially only my first 2 graphs, hourly and daily, are populated
with anything. The others are blank and my averages are being printed
as NaN, presumably because there isn't enough information in the db
yet.

Is that normal? Obviously for the 3rd RRA I'll need 288 samples before
I have a single CDP, and that's 24 hours at 300s intervals, and I
think it's been longer than that so I'm just wondering when I should
see results in the longer timespan graphs.

Thanks,
Mike
--Albert Einstein