[rrd-users] First gauge value isn't stored - what am I doingwrong?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Tue Dec 1 14:34:31 CET 2009

>> You should read Alex's tutorial on normalisation.
>> http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/
>
> I've read it now, and quite honestly, I wouldn't have understood
> its implications for my problem. It's not explained how the
> normalization target intervals are defined (which was the crucial
> missing information), only that they exist and that they are "well
> defined".

Feel welcome to suggest some changes/additions.

> It is also not explained that if my source interval only
> covers a small part of my target interval and the rest is unknown,
> my measurement is dropped. (I thought so at some point and changed
> my RRA xff ratio to 0.99999999, but that didn't change anything.)

Only after you update *on* or *after*  time n*s, the normalized interval
upto and including n*s will be calculated.  I'm pretty sure this is covered
somewhere in the docs or the tutorials.  And it makes sense, because rrdtool
will not guess what is going to happen in the future (the time interval
between n*s-delta upto and including n*s).

The X-Files factor is about consolidation, not about normalization.

HTH
Alex