[rrd-users] Can I get a single update into an RRA?

David Mitchell mitchell at ucar.edu
Mon Dec 14 22:08:02 CET 2009

Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> Instead of
>
> $t=time();
>
> rrdtool update ${t}:x
>
> do
>
> rrdtool update (${t}-${step}):U
> rrdtool update ${t}:x

That seems to be the best route. I think I may actually just dump the
value in twice rather than include a U. My current thinking is to set up
the RRD file with a step of 60. I'll only actually update it every 300
seconds. Each update will include t-step:value and t:value. And the
highest resolution RRA will aggregate 5 steps with a XFF of 80. I'll
have to experiement a little bit to nail down the details exactly. Thanks,

-David Mitchell