[rrd-users] Question about averaging daily ; but with 5 min. steps

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 22:50:03 CET 2009

2009/12/14 Alex van den Bogaerdt <alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl>:

> I haven't read the entire thread, not even this entire message, so forgive
> me if I'm stating something obvious or something already covered. Just
> ignore me in such a case.

Too bad ; because that would have helped you answering something a bit
more relevant to my questions

> Energy is measured in Joules.  1 kWh is just 3600000 Joules.

don't care ; I use the same units as the energy provider as that's
what they will bill me in
If I want to measure it in kWh, I think that's what I'm going to do :)

> Make sure you understand W=J/s and kWh = 1000*3600*1J. Inside rrdtool
> everything is <something> per second, so inside rrdtool you should store
> Joules (or, if you want, kWh) which will show up as Joules per second aka
> Watt.
sigh...

> Everything follows from that and you should have no difficulties processing
> your data.

Please read my question , it would have gone a long way ...
Did it seem to you that I had any issues converting units ?

I was looking forward to an answer from you ; provided you're the
in-house expert with RRD ... But I surely wasn't expecting that ... :(

I pretty much want to calculate daily average of RPN calculations made
on 5 minutes intervals...