[rrd-users] plotting graphs from rrd using 14allcgi script

Shikhar Sachan shikhar.sachan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 20:28:35 CET 2009

Hello Users,

I am on Ubuntu Machines and has installed the following packages after
installation of MRTG

apt-get     rrdtool librrdp-perl librrds-perl mrtg-rrd

I run the cfgmaker command for public localhost

My configuration file /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg looks like

### Global Config Options

#  for UNIX
# WorkDir: /home/http/mrtg

#  for Debian
WorkDir: /var/www/mrtg

#  or for NT
# WorkDir: c:\mrtgdata

### Global Defaults

#  to get bits instead of bytes and graphs growing to the right
# Options[_]: growright, bits

EnableIPv6: no
RunAsDaemon: yes
WorkDir: /var/www/mrtg
LogFormat: rrdtool
PathAdd: /usr/bin/rrdtool
LibAdd: /usr/share/perl/5.5.8
Options[_]: bits,growright
WriteExpires: Yes

Title[^]: Traffic Analysis for

The next step was to to change the /etc/mrtg-rrd.cfg file and type
/etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg

Now I run indexmaker command and finally see graph plots for public localhost.

However, now I want to get graph info for machines that I am
monitoring using snmp.
First thing I generate a /etc/mrtg/router1.cfg file using the cfgmaker command.

Now I again make sure that the changes are made in the config file.
What do I do next.
Do I modify the /etc/mrtg-rrd.cong file to this cfg file. But if I do
that I wont be able to get graphs for localhost.

Also, please guide me on how do I handle cron entry when it comes to
periodic logging of collected snmp information

Shikhar