[rrd-users] Supressing RRDTool "OK" message in pipe mode

Phix mark at phix.me
Fri Feb 27 18:25:26 CET 2009

Hi Alex,

The reason I am using RRDTool in pipe mode is because I have reached the
command line argument limit of my shell (I have over 2000 DEF statements, to
give you an idea of the number of RRD files I am dealing with). My only
option here is to use RRDTool's pipe method, and then pipe my lengthy
RRDTool graph definition into RRDTool STDIN and read the binary PNG stream
on RRDTool's STDOUT. But RRDTool insists on sticking an "OK" message at the
end, which strictly isn't part of the PNG binary stream (it doesn't affect
the ability of a graphics application or my browser from viewing the PNG
file, but still, it shouldn't really be there).

I would have expected RRDTool to suppress all other informative output if it
has just streamed a binary PNG file to its STDOUT, but this doesn't seem to
be the case.

Thanks for your help.