[rrd-users] Numbers

William R. Lorenz wrl at express.org
Sun Jan 4 21:13:18 CET 2009

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009, Simon Hobson wrote:

> Paul Halliday wrote:

>> what I put in:
>> 4297607 || 3460967

>> What I get:
>> 4.0777821933e+06 || 3.3850085800e+06

> There isn't enough information there to be sure, but I'll guess that the
> timestamp of your updates is not on a step boundary (ie an integer
> multiple of step since unix epoch). If your updates are not exactly on a
> step boundary, then rrd will normalise the values - it adjusts the
> figures to fit the fixed 'bins' it has to put the data into.

Shouldn't normalization only apply to non-GAUGE RRDs, or is this not the
case?  A gauge is a gauge regardless of the bin size, is that not right?

> Alex has some excellent descriptions of this on his website :
> http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/

I read the section about rates and normalization and hope I didn't miss
the answer to this there.  Just trying to learn a little more about how
this works while I can from Paul's excellent question here.  Thanks!

--
William R. Lorenz