[rrd-users] error configuring rrdtool and MRTG

Shikhar Sachan shikhar.sachan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 12:56:31 CET 2009

Hello Users,

I am new to RRD and have a slight problem. I have searched the
archives but couldn't find anything.
Actually the error my broweer shows is
   Error: RRDs::graph failed, opening
'/var/www/mrtg/localhost_eth0.rrd': No such file or directory
Also there are no .rrd files in my /var/www/mrtg directory.
MRTG alone was running perfectly fine but configuring it to use
rrdtool has left me with errors

I am on Ubuntu Machines and has installed the following packages after
installation of MRTG

apt-get     rrdtool librrdp-perl librrds-perl mrtg-rrd

My configuration file mrtg.cfg looks like
### Global Config Options

#  for UNIX
# WorkDir: /home/http/mrtg

#  for Debian
WorkDir: /var/www/mrtg

#  or for NT
# WorkDir: c:\mrtgdata

### Global Defaults

#  to get bits instead of bytes and graphs growing to the right
# Options[_]: growright, bits

EnableIPv6: no
RunAsDaemon: yes
WorkDir: /var/www/mrtg
LogFormat: rrdtool
PathAdd: /usr/bin/rrdtool
LibAdd: /usr/share/perl/
Options[_]: bits,growright
WriteExpires: Yes

Title[^]: Traffic Analysis for

But I do not get the .rrd files. I guess the LibAdd is wrong or some
other option. However I am sure that this is the path.
whereis perl gives me

/usr/bin/perl /etc/perl /usr/lib/perl /usr/share/perl
/usr/share/man/man1/perl.1.gz

However,
I am pretty sure that the cgi scrips are working fine. Only problem is
with logging data as no .rrd files have been created in my
/var/www/mrtg directory.

any help will be highly appreciated and many thanks

Shikhar